Sunday, August 11, 2013

Checking In ....


This post started out as a look back at our first week as a family.  Considering we're approaching the two week mark and I haven't gotten it published yet, I'll make a few changes and add to it the best I can...

Well it's already been a week with Jackson!  First of all, I can't believe we aren't calling him Sea Monkey anymore ... although I admit I call him "monkey" sometimes.  Second, I swear every time I look at him I just can't believe he used to be INSIDE my belly and that I actually pushed him out of my body.  I know the mechanics of it all, but looking at him just amazes me that it all really happened.  

He's perfect.  We are so in love with him!  He's a great sleeper too - which he must get from me because I love my sleep.  I actually have to wake him up for each feeding, and he gets pretty cranky.  Not that I blame him, I'd be kinda ticked off if someone was waking me up every 2-3 hours.  

We had a little bit of a scare within the first few days.  We went home from the hospital on Thursday.  Friday morning, we had a doctor's appointment to check his weight.  He only weighed in at 6 lbs.... so he lost 12 oz of his birth weight.  That's *almost* a pound!  I had decided to try breastfeeding from the start.  It wasn't going so well and he was having issues latching.  So, we hired a lactation consultant to come and help us out.  Her name is Katie and she's the best.  She's down to earth and offers really helpful advice.  She came Saturday to work with us and I was feeling a little better.

By Saturday afternoon, Jackson hadn't peed since Friday morning at the doctor's office.  We were concerned and called the pediatrician.  The on call nurse advised us to go to the Emergency Room.  Seriously?  I have a 4 day old baby and he's already going to the hospital?  Long story short, they put him on IV fluids and ran some bloodwork.  They basically told us he was fine.  *phew*!  We got home and yes, he is fine.  He's been peeing and pooping like a champ ever since!  It was terrifying to watch them poke around trying to get blood from him.  He was such a trooper though and didn't scream and cry as much as I thought he would.  What a brave little guy!




So we continued to try and breastfeed.  We had some good days, and some bad days.  Unfortunately we had more bad days than good and I got frustrated.  I made the decision to stop and switch to formula.  I was already supplementing each feeding with 1 oz of formula.  I was crying most of the time, and so was Jackson.  Poor Mike felt helpless and none of us were happy.  We've been strictly on formula for about 5 days now and everyone is happier.  It was a good decision for our family.    

Jackson has already made it out of the house a few times and has visited Target, Babies R Us and Wegmans (a grocery store)!  He's been great to travel with and is just so easy going.  Of course, he's a baby and he does get fussy here and there, but in the grand scheme of things, we are the luckiest parents because he's such a good baby.  I made a trip out with my mom to do some shopping and get a pedicure.  My feet needed some serious attention.  It was nice to get out of the house for a bit, and Pop was left to babysit.  I trust my dad and knew Jackson was in great hands, but I missed him and was happy to get back home and hold him.  I'm already wondering how I'll ever go back to work and leave this beautiful baby in someone elses arms ALL DAY!  

Since being home, we gave Jackson his first bath.  I will admit he was not a big fan of bath time .... which someone pointed out is a little ironic because we've been calling him "sea monkey".  


(yes, I look terrible.  But this is one of the few photos I have of me and Jackson!)
  
We also made a visit to Mike's grandmother - Jackson's GREAT grandmother!  I'm hoping to get a photo of the 4 generations - Great Gram, Buddy, Mike and Jackson.  Not many people ever get to meet their Great Grandparents so I think it will be really nice for Jackson to have a photo like that in the future. 





There's really not much else going on.  My life is all about feeding every 2-3 hours and counting dirty diapers (Not complaining, just pointing out how life's priorities have changed!).  I do make a point to shower every day, and my parents usually come by to visit for a good part of the day.  They really have been great, and I don't know what I would do without them and Mike.  My mom has done more laundry for me than I can even count, and both Mom and Dad have prepared or provided dinner for us almost every night since being home.  Everyone has been so supportive and helpful and I really appreciate it!  I really couldn't do this without them.  

I'm sure you're looking for a photo "fix" ... so here's a few more photos for you.  If you're friends with me on Facebook you've probably seen most or all of these already.  But I know I have a fair amount of readers who are not on Facebook.....





(this one cracks me up every time I look at it!)





2 comments:

  1. These pics are great! I especially love the one that cracks you up Marianne - it cracks me up too! He's awesome and I love him to pieces! Buddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written and very happy for you :-)
    -Sirisha

    ReplyDelete