Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Did you really just say that?!

I'm currently 14 weeks pregnant.  Well, 14 weeks 2 days to be exact, but whose counting?  Oh yeah, I am.  That means there's 25 weeks and 5 days remaining until Sea Monkey's estimated arrival date.  For the first few weeks of pregnancy, nobody knew.  I looked the same to everyone except maybe myself.  Slowly, your body changes.  Not only have I put on a few pounds, but my face goes through periods of breakouts most of us remember as teens, and of course I haven't highlighted my hair in ages.  My boobs are bigger (like I needed help in that area) and I'm always tired.   

Since we've made the announcement, and my body started changing, people feel like they have the right to say just about anything regarding my appearance.  Common comments I've heard .... and the responses I would have liked to provide:

"WOW! Your boobs are huge!" ...... "So is your backside, but I have the decency to not point it out to you."

"Your face is really breaking out lately, huh?" ....... "Oh, I hadn't noticed.  I'd like to break your face right now."

"Your belly is starting to pop already!  Are you sure you've only got one in there?"  ...... "Your belly looks like it's popped too.  But you're probably just eating too many doughnuts.  I'm pregnant.  I have an excuse".


Generally I just smile and take the comments with a grain of salt.  But add in feeling tired, and raging hormones that have you gloriously happy one minute and in tears the next, some of these comments can be hard to swallow without a snappy comeback.  I suppose society feels that when a woman is pregnant it's perfectly normal to point out all her physical flaws.  Well I'm telling you, it's not. 

All that being said, I know Sea Monkey is only about the size of an orange right now - in length, not width - and that all my "popping" is probably just bloating, but I'm getting used to the bump that's appeared. 

Here's a photo of me at 12 weeks:  (thank you Mike for snapping it at exactly the same time I blinked)


 It's been several weeks since my last doctor's appointment, and I miss seeing our little Sea Monkey on the ultrasound.  Last night I listened for the heartbeat and it sounded perfect (to my untrained medical ear).  Next appointment is February 13th!  We are starting to get ready for the arrival of the Sea Monkey and it's been kind of fun thinking about designing and preparing the nursery! 

Until next time ....

No comments:

Post a Comment