Saturday, February 2, 2013

Heartbeat!

When you're pregnant, you're constantly wondering if everything is ok in there .... is the Sea Monkey developing?  Has it stopped growing?  It's pretty much all you think about 24 hours a day.  Pregnancy would be a whole lot easier if your stomach became clear - like a fishbowl - and you could just look inside and see how your Sea Monkey was doing.  Neat idea huh?

Anyway .... How do you confirm Sea Monkey is ok between doctor visits? You buy a handy dandy fetal heart rate monitor!  It's a little device that has a wand you put on your belly and it can detect the Sea Monkey's heartbeat.  Mine looks like this:

I will say, it was VERY frustrating to use at first.  You hear all these different sounds - swooshing, beating, wind, and you have no idea what you're listening to.  Where is Sea Monkey?  Is it high, low? Where do I put this wand thing?  I had a million questions when I received mine in the mail.  So I did what any normal person would do and read the instructions booklet.  Do you think there was an ounce of helpful information in it?  No.  I had to resort to Google and YouTube to figure out what I was doing.  They were far more helpful than the instructions manual.  What would the world do without Google and YouTube?!  

So back to Sea Monkey.  I searched for WEEKS.  I could only ever find my heartbeat and the sound of the placenta (gross, I know.) Until last night ..... I FINALLY FOUND SEA MONKEY!  Did you know that a baby's heartbeat sounds like a galloping horse?  Me either, but it's pretty neat to listen to.  Here's a video so you can hear it too:




Did you hear the galloping horse sound?  That's Sea Monkey!  Pretty neat, huh?  He / she likes to hide out pretty low and on my right side.  Someone told me the quick sounds that sound like blowing into a microphone is Sea Monkey kicking ... but since he / she is too small right now and I can't feel it, I can't confirm that.

I was so happy to have found the heartbeat and now I don't need to worry, wondering if Sea Monkey is ok.  If I'm concerned, I'll just have a listen to that beautiful heart beating.

No comments:

Post a Comment