Monday, February 11, 2013

Our little avocado .....

Today I am 15 weeks and 1 day pregnant.  Which means I'm into the 16th week of pregnancy!  Wahoooo!  Sea Monkey is about the size of an avocado now. 

(Yes, I posed for a photo with an avocado in the grocery store)

I have an app for my iphone called "What to Expect".  It's a spin off of the book I've been reading - I get daily tips and a weekly update each Sunday.  Well last night I was reading the update, and it was very interesting!  Here's the part about Sea Monkey:

"Listen up: Tiny bones in your fetus's ears are in place this week, making it likely that the baby can hear your voice when you're speaking (or singing in the shower).  In fact, studies have found that babies who are sung to while they're in the womb recognize the same tune when it's sung to them after they are born (so choose your baby Muzak with that in mind...).
And baby's busily boning up in other ways.  For one, the backbone (along with the back muscles) is stronger now - strong enough, in fact, to enable your baby to work on straightening his or her head and neck even more.  Baby's crown to rump measurement is between four and five inches in length, and weight is hovering around three ounces. 
This little one's a looker - with a face that has both eyebrows and eyelashes - but a skinny looker since there's no baby fat yet.  And here's the skinny on baby skin: It's practically translucent now, so if you took a peek inside your uterus, you'd be able to see your baby's blood vessels under that thin skin."

Pretty neat, huh?  Sea Monkey has eyelashes and can hear me sing (poor thing)!  Amazing how much he or she has developed in a few short weeks.  I read this blurb out loud to Mike so he could learn about Sea Moneky's development.  I mean, what proud dad wouldn't want to know his kid has eyebrows, right?  In typical male fashion, when I've finished reading, he says, "You don't have bones in your ears."  HUH?  Really?  That's all you got out of that?  Cracked me up to try and understand the male perspective.  :-)
(I LOVE YOU MIKE!)

In other news, we are starting to accumulate a few baby items in the house!  We hit the last day of the Babies R Us trade in event - if you trade in an old car seat, bassinet, stroller, etc., they give you a 25% off coupon for a new item!  We were able to score some free stuff to use to trade in and purchased a swing, pack & play, and put half down on the crib.  Of course if you know me, you know I can't pass up a good deal.... and 25% off is way too good of a deal to let it pass me by! I also ran out to pick up a few packages of diapers ... yes, I said diapers.  (I'll be posting about my theory on diaper stockpiles soon!)

So the nursery is starting to come together (yes, I'll post about that - with photos - soon too), Sea Monkey has eyelashes, and I'm starting to actually look pregnant instead of like I ate too many donuts. 


Oh - and only 24 days until we find out if Sea Monkey is a boy or girl!  And I have a really fun way to share the news with everyone!  A post on that to come too - wow, I've got a lot of writing to do!  

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love that we can follow sea monkey's amazing development-there is nothing as miraculous as this. And I love the pictures too-especially the avocado one. You've sure got a jump on getting everything done Marianne. Love you guys - and tell sea monkey I send my love too now that he/she can hear!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that app too. Also "I'm Expecting" app that lets me put my weight, symptoms and appointments, everyday. I like reading every week about my baby.

    ReplyDelete